Thursday, January 5, 2012

A year in review

So far this year (the past 4 days) I've been struggling to get into the "let's review the year" sort of mood. Usually I'm all for being retrospective, nostalgic, and metaphoric about the evenings happenings. All this new year's season I haven't been able to muster it.

It doesn't feel like something ending. Or maybe I'm just not ready for it to end.

I can barely remember what happened in 2011!! Let's see what I can think up...


  • I moved into our apartment. It's had it's ups and downs, moments I just couldn't take it anymore, moments when I couldn't be happier with it, and a lot of laughs in between. (Don't forget the chronicles of the crazy neighbors). We have our dinner days which is extremely convenient. I've pretty much stopped seeing friends other than the ones I live with. I've pretty much resigned myself to Adam's mess. I've also resolved to finally MOVE IN (if you know what I mean). 
  • I left my old job and was ecstatic about it. I got a new job which I was incredibly hopeful for. I worked REALLY HARD and REALLY WELL and was incredibly disappointed with the overall results. I spent most of the year in that stage. I got laid off and was happy about it, miserable about it, despondent about it, and finally accepting of it. I enter this year unemployed but still trying to maintain a bright outlook.
  • I worked on about half a million hobbies: photography, painting, whittling wood, drawing, cross-stitching, rubber stamp making, jewelry making, language learning, instrument playing, puzzle doing, and countless countless others.
  • I finally got around to really changing my life in regards to eating habits and exercise. I make healthier and smarter choices that make me feel better about myself when I eat. Instead of napping or watching TV or vegging around reading a book, I often choose to exercise instead. 
  • I was hit-and-run, just straight out hit, my car broke down a couple of times. 
  • I still don't know what I want to do with my life and if you ask I'm likely to just start crying. But on a more positive note, I do know, now, several things I DON'T want to do.
  • I've learned how to fish.
  • Ok, that last one is a lie. But I watch a lot of "River Monsters" late at night.
  • I've planned what I would call approximately 45% of our wedding.
  • I've gone to new cities I never even considered visiting (but no new countries this year).
But more importantly and much more to my satisfaction here are some things to note:
  • I hardly spent any time in the hospital visiting dear/loved ones. Only a couple days or so. This is a BIG change from last year if you'll recall.
  • I didn't spend ANY time in ANY funeral homes or funerals. This is also a big change from last year and a VERY welcome one.
  • I spent at least 85% of the time working on being really positive, upbeat, and looking at the bright side.
  • The relationship with my parents have significantly improved.
  • My relationship with my dog has never stopped growing.

........

And I guess that's it really.

It's been a perfectly boring, mundane, nothing crazy happening year. I loved it. It was everything I was hoping for.

As for resolutions?

Stay tuned to another entry.

No comments: